Circuit breakers can help protect your home or business from short circuiting and electrical overloads that can have dangerous consequences for your home or business. When you encounter an issue, it’s important to get it fixed as soon as possible. Call Electric City for 24-hour services in Katy, TX. A family-owned business, we guarantee your 100% satisfaction.
Spruce up your backyard with outdoor lighting. Ask us about our services!
Signs You Need to Replace Your Circuit Breakers
In most cases when you have an issue with your circuit breaker, an electrical contractor will be able to diagnose and fix the issue. However, there are some instances when it makes more sense to replace the breakers rather than repair them.
These signs can indicate your circuit breakers need to be replaced:
- Breakers trip frequently. This can indicate they are overloaded and need to be upgraded.
- If your system is older it may need to be updated.
- Breakers are damaged. If the breakers are compromised in any way a professional should inspect them and determine if they can be repaired or if they need to be replaced.
Common Problems with Circuit Breakers
While having a circuit breaker malfunction is never ideal, there are some common issues you can look for that an electrical contractor can repair. Some of these include:
- Miswired circuits: Bad wiring can cause minor issues like flickering lights, or more major ones like complete system shutdowns.
- Overloaded circuits: If you are putting too much demand on circuits it can cause a fire or risk injury.
- Short circuits: This occurs when a hot wire makes contact with a neutral wire, causing the electrical charge to bypass its normal route and create a dangerous current. This can lead to burned wires and can cause damage to your electronics or appliances.
- Buzzing noises: This acts as an alert to make you aware of a wiring problem or an overloaded breaker.
Don’t risk being left in the dark during a power outage. Learn about our whole house generator services.
When to Call an Electrical Contractor to Repair Your Circuit Breaker
To prevent risks to your home or business, it’s important to call an electrical contractor as soon as possible after noticing an issue. Some problems can include:
- Circuit breaker continually trips.
- Breakers are hot to the touch
- You notice a burning smell coming from the electrical panel.
- There are frayed wires
- There’s burnt metal.
- The breaker is making hissing or popping noises.