Electrical issues can pose dangerous risks to your house and your family. When you notice a problem, it’s important to have it repaired as soon as possible. That’s why Electric City offers 24-hour services. Call us - a family-owned business with 100% satisfaction guaranteed -- for electrical service in Katy, TX.
Don’t let risky wiring issues go unrepaired. Ask us about our wiring repair and replacement services.
4 Types of Electrical Emergencies
Electrical emergencies can pose a threat to your home or business. These situations require the immediate help of an electrical contractor to repair the issue. Some common types of electrical emergencies can include:
- Wire that fails to trip: If a wire doesn’t trip properly it can leave your home or business in danger of electrical failure. Hearing humming or buzzing coming from the electrical breaker box can be a sign of an issue.
- Overloaded outlet: Overusing an outlet can cause it to heat up and burn. If you notice burn marks around an outlet you should call a professional.
- Persistent electrical issues: If an appliance, light or electrical device isn’t working, you should seek professional help before putting yourself in danger trying to fix it.
- Power outage: It can be common to suffer a power outage due to weather or an issue at the utility company, but a problem specific to your home can be more worrisome. To prevent a potentially dangerous situation, call a professional immediately.
Symptoms of Wiring Issues In Your Home or Business
Wiring issues can have dangerous consequences in your home or business. If you notice these signs, you should call an electrical contractor for help:
- Circuit breaker that trips frequently: This can indicate the circuit is overloaded past its safety capacity.
- Dimming or flickering lights: This can be a sign that your wiring system can’t handle the demand you’re placing on it.
- Warm or hot outlets: If your electrical outlets are warm to the touch it can signal an issue with your wiring that a professional should inspect.
- Faulty GFCI outlets: If your ground fault circuit interrupters aren’t working as expected, it can be a sign of faulty wiring.
- Burning smell: The odor of burning plastic can indicate faulty wiring that should be inspected by a professional.
Do you need a new ceiling fan installed? Ask us about our ceiling fans and chandelier services.
Common Problems with Electrical Outlets
While you use electrical outlets every day, you might treat them as out-of-sight-out-of-mind until they stop functioning. If you notice that any of the following issues are causing your outlets to malfunction you should call an electrical contractor:
- Loose slots: Overtime, the slots on electrical outlets can suffer wear and tear, causing them to loosen their grips on plugs.
- Loose wire connections: If the circuit wire connections start to loosen you may hear crackling noises and a circuit breaker may trip.
- Cracked outlet: Any cracks in the body of an outlet should be inspected by a professional, as damage can pose dangerous risks.
- Inadequate rating: Outlets are rated for a specific amount of amps. Appliances should be plugged into outlets that can support their electrical requirements.
- Lack of ground connection: If a receptacle hasn’t been connected to the circuit grounding wire, or if it hasn’t been grounded at all, it should be corrected by a professional.
- No ARC protection or GFCI protection: Electrical codes require that most outlets have ARC protection, and outlets near water have GFCI protection. If you have outlets that are not ARC or GFCI protected, call an electrical contractor to replace them.