Buying an electric vehicle can have benefits for the environment and your checkbook, as you will save money on fuel. However, to keep it running you need to find a convenient way to charge it. Installing an EV charging station in your home or business allows you to charge your vehicle at your leisure, without having to search nearby for a charging station. Call Electric City to install an EV charging station at your Katy, TX property. A family-owned business, we offer fast, dependable and on-time services!
Don’t risk your family’s health by going without a carbon monoxide detector. Ask us about our carbon monoxide detector installation services.
Benefits of Installing an EV Charging Station on Your Property
Having an electric vehicle can be convenient for your pocket book and the environment, but it can be a hassle to charge it. That’s why installing an EV charging station in your home or business can be very beneficial. Some of the advantages can include:
- A fast and safe charging station
- A charging station that’s available to you any time of day
- A cheap solution to power your vehicle, as it can cost just pennies a day to charge your EV at home
Equipment Needed to Charge Electric Vehicles at Home
When installing an electric charging station at your home or business you will likely choose between a Level 1 electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) or Level 2 EVSE. You should consult an electrical contractor to determine which equipment is best for your property and your vehicle.
- Level 1 EVSE: This can be a convenient option as it does not require any special equipment - just an outlet to plug into and a dedicated branch circuit. Level 1 EVSE is ideal for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and EVs, as for every hour of charging time it will add another 2 to 5 miles of range to the vehicle.
- Level 2 EVSE: This can add longer range to vehicles than the Level 1 EVSE, providing 10 to 60 miles of range for each hour of charging time, but it does require more equipment to install. This charges through a 240 V AC plug, and needs a dedicated electrical circuit of 20 to 100 amps. When installing this charging station, you will need to work with an electrician to ensure the work is done correctly, as well as make sure you are meeting all local requirements and obtaining any necessary permits.
When your home or business' wiring needs to be updated, contact us about wiring repair and replacement services.
Save Money by Charging EVs at Home
One of the drawbacks to purchasing an electric vehicle can be the inconvenience of finding a place to charge it. That’s why many people opt to install a home charging system. According to Energy.gov, drivers do more than 80 percent of their charging at home due to its convenience and cost-effectiveness. The organization states that charging at home allows drivers to take advantage of low residential electricity rates, whereas charging away from home can result in fees and wait times.