Adding outdoor lighting to your property can help make your yard an inviting space you want to spend time in, as well as help improve your safety. Having electrical contractors add motion activated lighting, sensor lights, patio lights and more can transform your yard and deter trespassers. Call Electric City today to have our experts install new lights in your yard. We provide fast, dependable and on-time services to the Katy, TX area.
Protect your home or business from a blackout during the next major storm. Learn about our whole house generator services.
Benefits of Security Lighting
Having a dark yard with plenty of shadowy spaces for intruders to hide can put your family’s safety at risk. To reduce this risk, install security lighting. This type of lighting can enhance the outdoor appearance of your home or business while providing a functional purpose of making your property more secure.
Some of the advantages of security lighting can include:
- It can deter burglars, vandals and intruders from targeting your home or business.
- It can discourage critters from hanging out on your property or getting into unwanted places - like your trash.
- It allows your household and guests to easily move around your property without the threat of tripping or falling in the dark.
Types of Patio Lighting
Installing lights around your patio can create an inviting outdoor space. When selecting lights you have several options - with various functions. Some types of lights you can choose from include:
- Spotlights: These are lights that point in one direction, allowing you to focus on a particular feature of your yard, like a statue, plant, wall or other object.
- Flood lights: These are typically used to brighten large areas, such as a patio or a driveway, from above.
- Up/down lights: These are types of spotlights that can be moved up or down to focus on a particular area of your yard.
- Step lights: These are used to illuminate stairs to increase safety. They can be attached on walls by stairs, or on the stairs themselves.
- Garden lights: These allow you to show off your plants. These lights typically shine downwards and out to gently illuminate the desired area.
- Bollard lights: These posts with a light on the top can shine in all directions to light up an area.
- String lights: These can be strung over trees, hardscapes and wrapped around other areas to add subtle light to your yard.
Is your house up to code on its electrical services? Are you at risk of a fire? Contact us to schedule a whole house safety inspection.
Where to Install Motion Activated Lighting
Motion lights can help keep your home or business secure by turning on lights when motion is detected. For enhanced security it is recommended to have a professional install motion activated lighting in the following areas:
- Garage: Placing lights in the garage will help deter criminals from entering your garage and stealing potentially expensive items. Practically, they will also enable you to work in your garage with the convenience of having lights turn on when you enter.
- Walkways: Motion activated lights will light up the walkways for your household and guests to increase their safety, as well as deter intruders.
- House entrances: If burglars are trying to break into your home or business, having lights in all entrances - including windows - can help scare them off.
- Gardens, pools and open areas: If an intruder is scared by a light, he or she might try to hide in other areas of your property, including the garden or near the pool. Having lights in these areas can help expose them.