A smoke detector can be your family’s best defense against fires in your home or business. That’s why it’s key for every household to have a functioning detection device at all times to alert your family when it’s time to evacuate your property. If you need a smoke detector installed or replaced, call Electric City for services in Katy, TX. A family-owned business, we guarantee 100% satisfaction.
Don’t get stuck in the dark during the next power outage. Ask us about our whole house generator services.
Importance of Smoke Detectors
Smoke detectors might be the most important devices in your home or business. These small units are responsible for alerting your family to a fire so you can evacuate the property quickly and safely.
To ensure these devices work when you need them most, it’s important to follow these steps:
- Check all smoke detectors monthly
- Make sure you have enough detectors around your property
- Install detectors in and out of all sleeping areas
- Place detectors on each floor of your home
- Install monitors that are interlocked, so if one alarm sounds they all do to ensure they can be heard throughout the house
- Be careful about placing one near the kitchen, as it could result in false alarms due to cooking
- If anyone in your household has hearing issues, install units that have strobe lights to alert of a fire
- Hire an electrical contractor to correctly install the alarms and check on their functionality
Signs Your Smoke Detector Needs to Be Replaced
Smoke detectors are vital to your family’s safety. Therefore, it’s crucial to be aware of when they need to be replaced to ensure you have fully functioning detectors in your home or business at all times.
Some signs that can indicate you need to call an electrical contractor to replace your smoke detectors can include:
- The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends replacing your smoke detectors every 10 years. If your detectors are older than this they should be replaced as soon as possible. If you don’t know the age of the monitors in your home, have an electrical contractor inspect them or replace them to ensure they are functioning.
- False alarms. If your smoke detectors are going off for no reason it can indicate an issue with the sensors. If you get false alarms you should have a professional inspect the detectors and determine if they are faulty and need to be replaced.
Does your business need electrical repairs? Learn about our commercial electrician services.
How to Test Your Smoke Detectors
To ensure the smoke detectors in your home or business are functioning properly it’s important to test them often. To complete these tests correctly, you should follow these steps:
- First, tell everyone in the household that you are performing a test on the smoke detectors.
- Have someone in your family position themselves at a point in the house farthest away from the smoke detector to ensure it can be heard from all areas of the house. If the alarm is quiet in any areas of the house, it can signal you need to install more detectors.
- Press the test button on the detector and listen for the high-pitched alarm. If the alarm is weak you should replace the batteries. Also, remove any dust or debris from the detector.
- If it’s been more than six months since you replaced the batteries - even if the alarm is loud -- you should install new batteries during the test.