With electricity being such a common part of our everyday lives, you may be surprised…
FAQs About Alternative Energy Sources
Katy, TX, green energy experts discuss alternative energy sources and which is the best for homeowners.
Learning About Green Energy
With energy costs rising across the globe, many homeowners are looking into alternatives that they can use to maintain their quality of life while reducing household costs. Eco-conscious consumers are evaluating their daily living habits to determine which ones can be changed to reduce their individual carbon emissions footprint to help preserve the world for future generations.
Whether a homeowner is looking to reduce costs or help the environment, there is a solution for renewable energy that meets their needs.
What Are the Main Types of Sustainable Energy?
- Solar. Solar power is leading the charge in sustainable energy and efforts to move away from reliance on fossil fuels. Solar is one of the largest available resources, produces little carbon emissions, is relatively inexpensive thanks to government incentives, and is easy to maintain.
- Wind. Wind turbines are being installed worldwide, both on land and offshore, in areas that have high exposure to wind. Battery storage options are being expanded, leading many major utility companies to evaluate this as a sustainable, long-term option.
- Hydroelectric. One of the oldest known forms of energy production, hydroelectric power requires location near a fast-moving water source to be effective. Currently, hydroelectric power is the leading renewable energy source, producing 16% of global energy needs.
- Geothermal. This method harnesses heat underground produced by the Earth and pulled to the surface via drilled wells. Anticipated projections forecast this being used by 3.5% of the global population for heat by 2050.
- Biomass. This is the burning of organic material for heat. Organic materials like food waste, wood, or corn are being used as a means to move away from using fossil fuels.
What Are the Benefits of Renewable Energy?
One major benefit of renewable energy is the government incentives currently available to homeowners willing to make the switch. The federal government offers up to 26% tax credit for solar systems installed in 2020-2022 and 22% for systems installed in 2023.
Another major benefit to producing energy locally is the reduced need to depend on foreign energy sources, especially with increased tensions in Europe.
Moving into alternative energy reliance will offer greater economic stimulation following the pandemic and create long-term, sustainable jobs in the industry.
Reducing greenhouse gasses and reliance on fossil fuels will improve the global carbon footprint and air quality.
Which is the Better Alternative Energy?
For most homeowners, solar is the best choice because of the government incentives and access to sunlight for a good part of the day. Solar energy produced during the day can be stored in battery cells to use at night or on days when the sun is not out.
Wind turbines are hard for city dwellers due to the turbine’s noise, and the aesthetic look, and could reduce home values. Also, many areas don’t have enough wind power to generate suitable electricity for the average American household.
About Electric City
Electric City is a local family-owned and operated business that offers a lifetime warranty on every job! Their trustworthy technicians that offer 24/7 available support is what sets them apart from other electric companies. Call them today for service in Katy, TX.